Friday, December 16, 2011

Thursday Was Yesterday Again

It was a different sort of Thursday. After the hair salon, Amy and I had lunch at Applebee’s, shopped briefly at Target’s, and then she left me at my primary doctor’s office. It was only about 2:30. My appointment was for 4:15. But Amy needed to go to the dance recital of her little granddaughter, age 2, at 3:00 in another town.

So how did I spend my time as I waited to be called? Every now and then the doctor’s large waiting room cleared of patients. At that point I got to my feet and did exercises, looked out the big windows at the hospital compound three floors below, with tiny people constantly on the move, and tried to figure how I could take the big, beautiful Christmas tree home with me in my pocket. Then I was called, right at 4:15.

The doctor said he thought I would live, but he had blood drawn. He’ll mail me the results.

Then I met perhaps the twentieth cab driver I’ve used within the past year. It was almost dark when we reached my house. He left, but I should have had him unlock my front door for me. I could not manage it. Two locks. So, I walked to a neighbor’s and climbed what is to me a steep grade from the road to the house, not knowing if he and his wife were home. I saw no lights through windows, though the yard dazzled with Christmas lights. But they were home, and Stan said he’d put on his shoes and be right there. I started back and he got there the same time I did. He easily got the door opened and wanted to know what gave. So, I gave a recital about the recital, and the rest of it. Lovely neighbors, Stan and Jackie.

I was especially glad I had prepared my supper ahead of time. I took it easy last night and watched the debates in Iowa. Slept in my chair, through the debates the second time, and perhaps the third time, for I awoke at 2:10 and they were still at it. Then I went to bed, and to sleep about 2:30. Awoke at 5:30 and got up for the day. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment