Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Solar Lights and Family’s Doings

Now winter has begun, by the calendar. This area hasn’t seen any real winter yet, but we probably will in the next two months. By e-mail I sent quite a number of people the forward about solar lights. Every household should have these in their yard so that when power outages occur, they can be brought into the house to give light, and the next day go back into the yard to “gas up” again for the next night.

Christmas mail has diminished this year at my house, that is, via the Post Office. E-mails galore, however. And as many letters as cards. The new addition is more Christmas telephone calls. The economy isn’t the only reason for the change. So many of my Christmas contacts are as old as I am, and may not be able to handle such mailings. I spent hours composing my first long letter—three big pages—mailed it, and then revised it to fit the next recipient, and continued revising and mailing. It takes a great deal of time for this, and I won’t finish the project till sometime after Christmas. I haven’t heard from two ladies who were my teenage friends, who live in Oklahoma and Kentucky. Perhaps today.

The grandson, who was moving to Texas from California, got his family settled there in the same town as the other two grandchildren who live there. I hope they are located near a public library, for this family is full of readers. In California the library was about a block away from the house. How delicious! So, the family Christmas dinner will obviously be enjoyed in that town without anyone’s needing to drive a distance.

I am enjoying my new 42 –inch HD television, but haven’t memorized all the numbers of the channels I watch. I am considering purchasing a few more channels.

Tomorrow is another Thursday. I may go into a book store. I’m planning to Nook in Dean Koontz’s new novella The Moonlit Mind, but I want to see another book in person before I Nook it. Koontz is one of my favorite authors.

Just think, if you had a few solar lights in your house during a power outage, you might still be able to read!

And now, to watch from a quiet distance as men cut down the huge weeping willow tree in the yard next door. If only the neighbor on the other side of my yard would cut down his willow tree, what a cleaner backyard mine would be. ♥

2 comments:

  1. Solar Power is so under-rated 1 deep cell, deep cycle marine battery and 14 watts of daily charge will light 2 cfl lights easily through the night! I operate all of my business related electricity via solar panels on my trailer or the same set up on my roof. I got them from Harbor Freight Tool for less than 180.00 for what has been 3 years of more than reliable electricity to charge my cell phone battery, laptop battery, lighting needs. So almost all communication via cell phone or computer is powered by solar provided energy! This post right now was made possible by the power of the sun! The percentage not provided by solar power are those days that I am not at work and using the electricity inside of my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this information. I hope all my readers will consider following your example, especially my two sons with their big houses. Lindsley Rinard

    ReplyDelete