Friday, December 9, 2011

My Thursday Out, Plus

On my day out yesterday, I greeted several people who served me in the stores with a “Merry Christmas.” They all reciprocated with the same, except one. Behind a counter in the deli department in a very large supermarket, the woman glared at me and said something indistinguishable. She had a foreign accent. I kept smiling at her.

Book buying was at a minimum, only one volume, and it was for someone else.

I purchased one gorgeous pomegranate (at $1.78, I think it was). It is for a guest coming to my house tonight for dinner, my great-grandson Rocco. He is two years old. I never saw a pomegranate when I was a child. He has lived in the Middle East for a good part of his life, and he might have seen pomegranates there, but he will not likely remember them. This will be fun. Also, Rocco will bring his parents, Rob and Melissa.

People have asked me how Rocco got his name. It’s one his dad just liked. I think he met a Rocco in a book series, perhaps in the comics. You never know about my family. We sometimes do odd things. Rocco has a cousin named Philip, who in his early teens is becoming quite a scholar on World War II. And that cousin, Phil, and his family are moving to Texas from California. So, three of my grandchildren and their families will be living in Texas. That part of the clan expects to celebrate Christmas day there. Gooch will be coming from Australia for that. His wife, Shirley, has already arrived, I believe.

Another part of the clan will probably celebrate Christmas in Twin Falls, Idaho, and I’m always invited there. Sometimes I get there, but this year it is questionable. Travel is not easy for me these days.

I’m sure Susan’s three children will be home in Atlanta. Two of them live there, and the oldest will surely come from his senior year at West Point. He will know soon where the Army will post him. How I miss Susan who died in 2006.

Back to work now. ♥

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, Almost!
    Fr. Rocco Porter was our pastor for the last 9 years at St. Peter here in Greeley - if your Rocco has a portion of Fr. Rocco's charm, intelligence and love (bet he does!) the world will be a better place.
    I'm glad Rocco consented to bring his parents with him. See how loving he is?
    Love from Laura and Tom in Colorado

    ReplyDelete