Sunday, January 26, 2014


THE YELLOW CUP

Last evening a minor accident occurred in my kitchen and I learned something. I had poured a cup of grape juice (I prefer this cup to a glass) and then tried to do two things at once. While I was turning myself to face the fridge, I made an attempt to set the cup on the counter behind me on the oblique. The cup made a whopper of a splash but did not break. It was exactly upside down on the floor and when I picked it up, I found most of the juice had been still inside the upside-down cup. Perhaps you have studied all sorts of science and physics classes and have known this kind of antic ever since, but this was news to me. I suppose the maneuver was about speed and the true level of the rim of the cup and the tile it landed on, right? In case you are interested, the cup that did not break was one of the set called Fiesta, an old pattern of dishes (as old as my childhood), revived and now made in China. However, this one yellow cup I bought was made in the USA. The saleslady at Macy’s had to search for it. The American makes were not displayed. That effrontery must be written into the trade agreement with China. Haven’t we learned somewhere not to trust items painted in China? ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment