Saturday, January 25, 2014


A DAY OFF

Saturday now, January 25, and I’m taking the day off as many people do in their routines, but of course yours and mine are different. First, let me remind you it’s only 11 months till Christmas. If you don’t realize that time is flying super fast, you must be extremely young. Ordinarily I’d say I hope you’re young. But these are not ordinary times. Some of my latest writing takes me back to my childhood, which I recall was rather carefree. While I was jumping rope and playing Red Rover, an alleged wallpaper-hanger in Europe was starting to build up his empire, eventually called The German Fourth Reich. But the typical American family never heard of him in those days. Even few politicians had heard of him, if any.

What are our young people today learning about what’s going on in the world? There is so much happening they could never keep up with it, even if the family discussed it at the breakfast table. I recall one household where this ritual did occur at the breakfast table daily. I learned this by taking a tour of the subject’s presidential library and birthplace years ago. Hey, Matthew, do you remember that? You were five years old and with Grandpa John and Granmarie. It was Lyndon Johnson who had to know the news before he came to the breakfast table. Can you imagine such a requirement today? If LBJ ever played Trivia, he surely won the game with all that knowledge in his head. It pays to learn facts, for you never know when you’re going to meet the next Trivia nut.

I started out to write about the inside of my latest short story. I think I’m ready to tell you something of it, but not the crux. See next blog. ♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment