Monday, January 27, 2014


ALL THE TIME SOMETHING NEW

It is great fun and real value too to use one’s computer just to learn something new—when there are a few minutes to spare. I seldom have such minutes unless I take them from my sleep time. Last night I did just that, well after 10:00. I looked up Fiesta dishes and made sure I had the date right when I wrote about my yellow cup. Yes, they were on the scene in the early 1930’s and by 1936, one could purchase the whole set. I thought they were ugly and cheap looking at the time and didn’t dream they would become collectors’ items. They didn’t have this coffee mug shape of my cup at the time. The cups then were squat with saucers and remind me today of sailboats at a carnival pond.

In those early days only a few colors were manufactured, six I believe. But last night, I learned about 30 more colors that have appeared from time to time, and the years are given for their appearance and for their withdrawal from sale! Listed are Persimmon, Sapphire, Marigold, Sunflower, Chocolate, Black (special shade), pure White, Cobalt, Apricot, Cinnabar, Shamrock, und so weiter. I don’t know if my yellow cup is one called Yellow (pale custard/butter) or the Sunflower (bright yellow). Just reading about them makes one wish for sets in several colors.

I’m glad my family did not purchase any of these early dishes for, it turned out, they had radioactive glazes on them. They are free of that danger today. ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment