Saturday, March 1, 2014

PIANO, NEWSLETTER, READING, AND A WITCH

March 1st, today, a new beginning in short time. Fortified with my yellow cup of hot chocolate with a hint of nutmeg, I'll bring my readers up to date on a few things. The baby grand piano is selected and the last I heard of it, our Executive Director was awaiting a call back on the price. I don't pester her about that, but I'm eager for it to materialize in our dining room. Because some miracles happen here after hours (quite a staff working here then), last night after 10:00, I took a walk and checked out the dining room. No piano yet.


Our first newsletter has come out. The E. D. had asked me to read her article in advance and "make corrections" if needed. As that is my delight sort of thing, I agreed. I kept waiting for it. Then yesterday, while I was sitting under the hair dryer in the salon, she came in, spoke to the hairdresser, and then saw me. She said she had been to my suite, looking for me. She held a paper in her hand, her article for me to read and she needed it in the next few minutes! And there I was, no good pen in my purse and without my magnifying glass! The manicurist loaned me a pen, the regular type that I shun, but I took it. The typing seemed to me about a font size 8 but I did the best I could. (It was probably actually 12.) The newsletter turned out fine. I found my copy in my mail-holder at my door (not mailbox). If my services are required next month, I hope to be ready with the better pen and with my magnifying glass.


Now for my reading, which has been spasmodic and quite brief because of other requirements. I lack only about 35 pages in THE GIRL WITH NO SHADOW. You'd finish it easily, but you would not be holding the heavy book in your left hand and a magnifying glass in your right, would you? The pages are not short, but are well-packed with words. And at the beginning of each chapter, I have to read a while before knowing who is talking. I believe this book, among several other descriptions, is a murder story. A particular murder hasn't happened yet, but there is the love of money. You recall, I assume, that the love of money is the root of all evil. I anticipate the "no shadow" girl will steal a life for the money she gains in the process. She admits to stealing other lives, even her own mother's. I don't recommend this book.


My hot chocolate is all gone. Do try it with nutmeg. It won't turn you into a witch. I'm having my lunch today in my suite so that I can get some work done. But before that I must finish breakfast. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment