Tuesday, March 11, 2014

AT LEAST HERE'S A CONNECTION

As you might have guessed, I've had a holiday away from blogging, while staying right here. I want to continue that holiday for Pete is still acting up. However, time will not allow much blogging for a while, for other jobs have priority. Like taxes and such nuisances.


 I am reading Robert Gates's DUTY and find it most interesting. The man who loaned this book to me was reading my copy of THINGS THAT MATTER but it proved too much for him. He gave it back today. I imagine Krauthammer's vocabulary was just too challenging for him. Oh, what he missed! And TTM is still on the nest-selling list, according to O'Reilly.


I've noticed my blog about the two movies "The 39 Steps" and "North by Northwest" continues to be read, or perhaps only looked at, but clicked on at least, several hundred times. Last night I saw about half of Hitchcock's earlier version of STEPS, and turned it off. The 2008 version is so much better.


With British films, I think Americans understand the speech better if the actors have started their careers on the stage, and have learned how to speak to the audience in person. Joan Hickson was the perfect Miss Marple and the several actresses who have tried the role since the death of Hickson, just aren't up to par. They speak as if they have worked only on film, and perhaps they have. ***


No comments:

Post a Comment