Monday, December 13, 2010

Winter Reading

In one week and one day winter begins. I wonder what all that snow we’ve just lived through was called, autumn? Well, at least the daylight hours will begin to get longer. But while the nights are still dark early, it’s a great time for cuddling up with a book. If there are two of you, reading different books, try sitting back-to-back on a sofa with your feet up and an afghan across them. One lamp can illuminate both volumes. Could be called cuddling up with a book, right? If one of you starts to snore, the other just needs to wiggle his or her shoulders to stop it.

I’m half through another story which I recommend. It’s a small book, 239 short pages, called The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews. Interested in learning more about World War II? I always am, since it was my generation’s war. But I had no idea till now that Hitler’s submarines plowed the Gulf of Mexico, torpedoing our cargo ships carrying food to our troops overseas. The author says this is a true story, but this information was kept out of the news at the time. However, the Alabama locals knew. One of my great grandsons is especially interested in this historical time; so, he’ll get this book. It contains mystery, and perhaps some romance is yet to show. Has memorable characters, but I must not divulge too much here.

Tomorrow I should be in another book with something to say about it perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment