Tuesday, December 7, 2010

This Old House

For several years it has been my custom to give our house a Christmas present, usually something pretty. This year, however, it’s getting more than one and they are not what anyone would call pretty. They are useful, even necessary: new fluorescent light tubes in the laundry room, a replaced part to the dead bolt on the front door, and new roof gutters with covers to keep out leaves from my neighbor’s huge weeping willow tree. The first snow came this year before the trees had shed all their leaves, and our yards and gutters were caught unprepared for it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if something else went awry at this time either. But I am so thankful to live in America where, so far, we are able to get these items without ordering and waiting for weeks or months for them. I love America, and I love this old house.

No comments:

Post a Comment