Sunday, December 5, 2010

The “In” Thing Down Under

People are funny. Just as some Americans pride themselves in being descended from early settlers seeking religious freedom in America, some Australians brag about being descended from the early prisoners England sent to the big island without recourse for their crimes. It’s the “in” thing down under today.

Many years ago I read a thick book about this early history of Australia and for a while, thought I’d never get through it. But I did. It was called The Penal Colony, but I’m not sure who the author was. Not Franz Kafka, and I can’t quite connect the writer Richard Herley (found on the Internet) with it. There is no copyright on titles, and others could have used the same title, of course. Whoever he was, that author didn’t predict then the Aussies would be bragging today about their history there.

No comments:

Post a Comment