Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Did You Know Why?

I’m trying my best to end 2010 with 31 blog postings for December. Maybe I’ll have another thought before the day is too far gone. But, of course, I can’t stop here. Let me dig a minute.

I’m not the superstitious type, but there is one such thing I do believe and observe. On New Year’s Day I eat black-eyed peas, but only as a side dish. That’s supposed to make one prosperous during the next year.

However, the way it was originally intended was that if your New Year’s feast consisted of only black-eyed peas with hog jowl, you could eat frugally that way throughout the year, and therefore, not be poor. I know that’s what they meant, for I was in the next room and heard them plan the truth, not as superstition, way back in the 17th century, I think.

Don’t forget to buy your black-eyed peas for this Saturday. Dry, frozen, or canned. For the true flavor, don’t add anything to the pot except a pinch of salt. And hog jowl, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment