Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Good Neighbors

Around 4:30 this morning, I awoke to too much light in my room and got up to see if I’d left on too many outside bulbs. I had not, but the streetlights on the fresh snow could have posed for a Christmas card. I supposed it might still be snowing and apparently was, for it’s deep enough today to keep school buses from running. (I haven’t checked on that, but from experience as a teacher, my guess is “closed.”) On the horizontal board across my wooden fence around the backyard the snow looks at least eight inches deep from my kitchen window. It surely must be less than that.

I am most fortunate to have a neighbor who clears my driveway and front terrace along with the public sidewalk, but so far today, that hasn’t happened. I recall one year he did this job on his lunch hour. So, that may happen yet.

Another nice neighbor brings me my mail from the outside mailbox. He and his wife don’t want me falling out there. Guess what. I don’t want to fall either. It’s really wonderful to have such neighbors, and I remember them at Christmas with a token of my appreciation. May God bless everyone who helps a neighbor in such circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment