Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Little Boys Can Say Cute Things Too

When “Gooch” was barely old enough to have a Halloween mask of his own, he was wearing it up on top of his head. Susan asked him. “Why are you wearing that thing on top of your head?”

He said, “So I can see God.” He was not yet three years old.

Once Gooch hadn’t eaten the peas on his plate. I admonished him to eat them, and added, “Do you know there are little children in the world who do not have anything to eat?”

He said, “Let’s send the peas to them.”

When the third child joined the family, he didn’t talk much. He didn’t need to, for his older siblings talked all the time, and he just smiled at them. But one day the family made a visit to a farm, where Mike, one year old, saw his first live chickens. Later in the week, fried chicken was on the dinner table. Mike wouldn’t eat any of it. In fact, he almost cried. I realized he was remembering the live creatures he’d seen on the farm. He said something like, “Can you put it back?” I think he meant could I put the chicken back together again.

Gooch, age three, spoke up, “All the king’s horses couldn't do that.”

I looked at Susan and shook my head no, she was not to add, “And all the king’s men.” That was just ready to pop out of her mouth.

What great kids they were.♥

No comments:

Post a Comment