Saturday, November 1, 2014

BOOKS UPDATE

This evening must not go by without my writing at least one blog. About books, of course. 

I loaned my copy of All the Light We Cannot See to the Executive Director here where I live. She told me her husband took it right over and was reading it. (He reads several books at a time, also my custom.) She said he finds it a slow read. That must be because of the particular vocabulary Doerr uses in the novel. In spite of that, Doerr's book is a finalist in the National Book Award coming up in mid-November. You can see all the fiction books in the running on your computer. In the description of the novels, Doerr's is described first. A good write-up about the book. The third book shown is also by an Idaho writer, a Pulitzer Prize winner. 

This Director also told me her husband is reading Killing Patton, by O'Reilly and Dugard, which I also have started to read. I'm still reading Washington, A Life, of course, am on about page 60! Surely Patton will be killed before Washington becomes president, if you understand my humor. I had no idea Patton's death was a mysterious one, even quite likely murder, for many wanted to kill him, the authors say. As he lay dying, all the entrances into the hospital had armed guards around the clock, as well as at the door to his room.

There is hardly a period of even five minutes to read anything around here, even mail. Tonight, instead of getting an extra hour of sleep, I hope to read that hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment