Sunday, November 2, 2014

ANOTHER LOST GENERATION

A whole generation of Americans does not know much about World War II. That is because teachers in public schools did not teach them about that war. They began the class year of American History from the beginning, most likely following some teacher's manual, seldom straying from the textbook. One of my dicta is that a good teacher knows when to stray from the textbook.

Teachers aside, people who have not seen war first-hand, up close and personal, have only a weak idea how horrible war can be. Those who return from the actual fighting don't usually like to talk about it. Therefore, Killing Patton may give some education in this matter. The chapter I read last night is an example. How horrible the conflict, how great the writing. 

I did not explain who Patton was in my earlier blog about this book. Suffice it to say for now that he was one of the most highly illustrious American Generals conducting the war in Europe in the 1940's. If anyone reading this says, "Oh, that was before my time [and it's not important to me]," I'll remind such a reader that "History repeats itself." The difference might be only the location. It could happen here. 

A big movie called "Patton," I believe, won awards years ago. George Scott won an Oscar for his role as Patton, and a great job he did. I also believe Scott much later apologized for getting the award or perhaps for merely playing the part. Perhaps O'Reilly and Dugard's book will bring back the movie, and maybe a little more knowledge can creep into some heads that don't read.

No comments:

Post a Comment