Thursday, August 19, 2010

Amazing Concepts

On my day out today, I heard an astounding statement. If you can truly imagine you are riding a bike, or swimming, or climbing Everest, you can use up calories exactly as if you were doing the real thing! The power of the mind is truly remarkable. I think I’ll run all night.

There’s something else I heard recently too, which we hear every so often. To ward off burglars from your house when you aren’t at home, keep the television going, so that it can be heard outside the house, indicating someone is supposedly at home. However—

What if someone is after you, some wandering stranger out for a kill, rather than after your expensive toys? Would you turn off the telly, pretend you’re not at home, to protect yourself? You’d better consider it. This is a time of high crime, as in senseless killing. And somewhere in Shakespeare, but I’ve forgotten in which play, the bard writes this very truth. In more poetic words than these, he says thieves break into homes more often for crimes against human beings than for stealing their gold. He wasn’t referring to the times, but to human nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment