Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Point in Time

David Horowitz’s new book, A Point in Time, has only 128 pages, but it may be his most important work. In three chapters, dated October 2006, November 2008, and December 2010, he follows the book’s subtitle, The Search of Redemption in This Life and the Next; however, I will need to read certain sections again before I understand fully if he concludes with the answers sought. Sometimes, as I read a nonfictional volume such as this, I get sidetracked by the beauty of language and Horowitz is an expert at this artistry. But that is what a meditation should do—elucidate the discussion with the beauty of language.

Throughout, Horowitz ponders his own life span, as he falls prey to diabetes (Type 2), cancer, and problems of his heart, in addition to the shock of the sudden death of a daughter. He builds a swimming pool for his health, but then moves into another house. This new location has room for his wife’s horse, as well as his umpteen dogs who accompany him on his daily walks.

But the author discusses Marcus Aurelius, especially with regard to his own father, and moves on to the works of Dostoevsky and ends with the Requiem Mass of Mozart. This post is not to be as long as Horowitz’s book itself, but I want to mention that the discussion on Dostoevsky touched my memory veins. Not everyone has plowed through The Brother Karamazov, but I did, many ears ago. Not only that, but my students saw the film version of it. I remember watching it every hour it was shown for several days, year after year, and I’ve never tired of it. I watched it again about a month ago. Not exactly like the book, the basic philosophy is nearly the same. The most important idea I hoped my students realized to their cores was enacted in a courtroom scene. Ivan Karamazov, a journalist in Moscow, and self-admitted atheist, finally understands on the witness stand, that if there is a devil, there must be a God too. Horowitz does not quote such simple wisdom in his work, but the gist of what he does say is close.

Horowitz writes as if he is old and might die tomorrow. I am older than he. We share some coincidences in our lives, including physical ailments, but a more important one is that he writes beautifully and I appreciate reading what he writes. I have seen him many times on television and heard him talk about this book on C-SPAN before I bought it. (I have a habit of doing that.)

I think Horowitz believes his people, the Jews, face another colossal tragedy, even in America. The handwriting is on the wall. Horowitz is a friend of Erick Stakelbeck and, of course, would have read the latter’s The Terrorist Next Door. I anticipate that with his taking care of his health, Horowitz will live to write many more good books. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment