Saturday, October 22, 2011

News from a Great Grandson

Below is part of a letter from a great grandson of mine, named Philip. It truly delights me to hear he’s taken up story-writing. He is also a student of World War II, a thought that engages my interest favorably too. Read what he says.

“Hello, Grandma, this is Phil. I really enjoyed the World War II story you sent me. I was just looking for a good World War II story when you sent it.

“I am currently writing a story about slavery set from the 1600’s to the 1800’s. History is my favorite subject. I enjoy writing as well.”

Roald Dahl wrote an excellent WWII story that I will send Phil. It’s called “Beware of the Dog.” Or perhaps he can find it at the public library near his house. I once read something like the fact that Dahl wrote numerous short stories which he sent to American magazines [he was British] and they readily bought them. Many readers probably think he wrote only about chocolate for children. Not so. “Beware of the Dog" is one of the best stories I’ve ever read and some of my English classes read it too. It was also produced on film, but no dog was in it. I recall this version used the Angelus instead of the dog—I think because American readers don’t often know French. I have a thick book of Dahl’s stories, which I’ve not got around to reading yet. But I will, for it is big print. In another blog I’ll write about the latest book I read on my Nook. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment