Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Signing In

In one of my favorite films, the main character asks the detective if he is a Virgo. He says he is. Then she says that’s strange, that usually detectives are not Virgos. I wonder if that is true. My detective, Nate Griswald, is not a Virgo (since I heard that in that film), but I don’t know what his sign is. Yet. For he hasn’t said. (I don’t decide for him, remember.) And isn’t that strange that I know one fact, but not the other!

Now my position on astrology. All the heavenly bodies are God’s, and it’s difficult to think they don’t have special significance, such as the rainbow and its meaning, the moon’s connection with the tides, and the special star over Bethlehem. But it seems to me that if the planets have anything to do with human life, it would take affect at the time of conception, not at the time of birth. After all, the child has been in existence for nine months when it is born. I like to think God meant something by these planets and their relationships with earth and its creatures, but I do not believe He meant for anyone on this globe to attempt to predict coming events, such as Taurus will get a bundle of money on the fifteenth. That’s ridiculous. Or even such advice as Tuesday will be a bad day for Capricorn, or Friday a good one for Gemini. The mere suggestion of such might make these so, with the planets having nothing to do with it.

That’s how I feel about astrology, but I want to add one more idea that might have got past you without your noticing it. All the astrological signs have some creature in them, such as fish, crab, or water bearer─except one─and that is Libra. Libra shows weight scales. I don’t know what it is supposed to weigh, but I’ve always thought it had to do with justice, not dishing it out, but living by it. I like this one best and that’s why I chose to be born under Libra.

No comments:

Post a Comment