Friday, June 18, 2010

Just One Foot Before the Other

Yesterday I added just one word to the novel in progress. Thursday is my really busy day, but at least I try to say hello to the novel daily. I may start leaving off a Thursday blog. Much of my writing time recently has gone into the current contests. I thought all those submissions were done and sent, but I had an idea, an occasional delight. The short stories, the essays, and the poetry, were all mailed, but I wanted one more manuscript to compete in another category. I went through my files and found one for “creative nonfiction.” It had never been entered in any contest, was the right length, and needed just a few more words to make it fit the required theme or title. That was mailed yesterday. That means nine contests I’ve entered. Last year, it was fourteen. About twenty-two entries are possible.

Anyway, the reading continues. Right now, I’m a third into Robin Cook’s Foreign Body. What a master of suspense this doctor-writer is. For an ophthalmologist, he knows a great deal about medical fields not his own. That’s not too common, I believe. If you’d like to read about an organization of nurses with the aim of killing certain American patients in India, this is for you. I trust we shall have our heroic characters popping up in time to stop all criminals involved, perhaps before the third murder.

That’s just one of the books I’m enjoying at this time. Remember, I often read in a dozen simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment