Monday, June 14, 2010

Postscript

Before we get too far away from the above story, let me remind you of something I think recorded here earlier. My training and work in the Navy earned me 17 college credit hours. Not bad for 14 months, all expenses paid, is it? When I returned to Nashville, Sears offered to train me to become a store’s Personnel Director. That would mean spending six months training in Atlanta, Georgia. But I didn’t want to stick with merchandising. Working at Sears just helped me get through college. Let me say here something that may astound my children and grandchildren: My parents did not spend a penny on my college education and I did not ask them for help. I worked and paid my own way those first two years. After the war, I made use of the G. I. Bill to complete the first four years and get a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in language and literature, one of the tougher fields at that time. I think it still is.

Along with the G. I. Bill, I still worked, and guess what at. With my naval training, I was Assistant Dean of Women in a girls’ dormitory! This was in Idaho, and it was there I met my husband to be. We married when I had only one semester of undergraduate studies to complete. Before I met John, I had anticipated moving north to the University of Idaho to begin studies for a Ph.D in literature and languages. But I got sidetracked by marriage. I had not trained to be a teacher but had a degree with honors. However, in a fairly short time I became a high school English teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment