Saturday, January 17, 2015

THE REASON

The reason we have a plethora of books and stories about World War II appearing recently and in the near past is that the generation that lived that war is fast dying out. Soon there will be no one to interview who was there and witnessed it. After that time, it will be only hearsay -- except for what did get down on paper and film. 

The best WWII nonfiction work I've run across is the one I'm suffering through currently -- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is highly enlightening and it is hard to lay the book down. I say suffering through, and that means the war was just so terrible. I did not really know that many service men lost their lives before they had tine to reach their first target. I didn't know the gigantic number of planes lost. I didn't know there were so many sharks in the ocean, itching to devour our men. Some succeeded. 

So far (I'm on only page 90) the squadron on this B-24 bomber are outstanding heroes. 

The Japanese were particularly cruel and had already enslaved people from other countries. They were going to show the world they were the greatest people on earth and the rest of us would become their slaves. I am not for war, but we had to do something about this situation. Eventually, their emperor Hirohito had to declare before the world, something such as he was not a god, as he had led the Japanese to believe.   

I asked a friend of mine if she could get to sleep easily after seeing the film version. She said it took a while and she delayed her bed time. Well, the book has to tell more than the film does. Books are usually better than the films made of them. And if I were Empress, no one under age 18 would be allowed to see it in a theater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment