Tuesday, September 16, 2014

GREETINGS, AND ANOTHER GOOD BOOK

Greetings, after five months! On the morning of April 22 of this year, I fell in my kitchen and broke my hip. I went from hospital into Rehab, then back here where I reside, but in the Assisted Living section. And now I am back in the Independent Living section, my same apartment for which I had been paying rent all this time. How great it is to be back!

The Executive Director here said to me, "This is just not done, that one goes from Assisted Living back to Independent Living, but you've done it!"

Before I tell you about the new book, let me inform you that almost 100 persons have now read that short story I finished writing last spring Who's to Say. It has met a great deal of enthusiasm and I should be ready to send it out in the early fall. Free time here is scarce. But now the goody I promised.

The book's title is All the Light We Cannot See. The author is Anthony Doerr, a Boise writer of my acquaintance. About ten years ago he awarded me first place in a state-wide contest of nonfiction writing. Of course, I'm one of his biggest fans, and I expect him to win the Nobel Prize in Literature in time. 

All the Light is a World War II novel, for which Doerr devoted ten years of his life to research and write. Somewhere he says there are so many books about that war that they could cover all of Germany two feet deep. That's a lot of books about that war, and this volume will be declared one of the best in the fiction category. Of its 530 pages, I am on page 19. Quite a ways to go, but the chapters are extremely short and Doerr's vocabulary is right on the mark. What a delight to find a gibbous moon right on the first page. Suffice it to say this story is about a blind French girl and a German soldier, I think. You can order this through your computer. 






1 comment: