Monday, August 29, 2011


LAST LETTER FROM MARGARET VAIL

July 2, 1963

I must reply very briefly to your letter of June 3, but to write only a few lines requires a greater effort than what my doctor wants me to make. I am and have been very ill, had stroke for nearly a year. My intellectual life, reading, writing, have stopped entirely and I must rest most of the time.

My daughter, Rose-Helene, is living and working in Geneva, Switzerland, where she is very well and very happy. So it will be impossible for you to see her when you are in New York.

I congratulate you for this opportunity that has come your way and am sure you will make the most of it. I am glad to hear your family is well and flourishing, and send you my best wishes for your continued and certainly well deserved well-being and happiness.

Yours very sincerely,
G.[indecipherable] de Launay
_____________

The name too difficult to read seems to begin with a large upper case “P,” but it also could be an upper case “S.” Several strokes of her pen follow, that could be six or seven letters without a “T” crossing or an “I” dotting. Dots serve as both periods and commas. So it seems, Rose-Helene could have been working for the U. N. in its Geneva offices. ♥



.






No comments:

Post a Comment