Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lonely Sunday Afternoon

It’s seldom I experience a lonely Sunday afternoon, perhaps never have in many, many years. But today is lonely, because of disappointment. I’m glad the sun is bright and hot. I don’t want to write. But I’ve dug up a poem for you, written a few months ago. Enjoy!

The Silent Roar ©

A giant conch shell settles in my hands,
its two sharp points undamaged by
the toss and fling of waterpower.
Its meat is gone, it has no pearl,
but enough smooth pink for a dozen cameos.

The enigma is, it holds the roar
of all the seas that I have known,
a roar scientists now say has no link
with blood vessels in the ear:
it is the sound of seas from which it came.

I shall not listen to this treasure’s roar,
to feel again past floodings of my heart.
It is enough to understand the roar exists,
if I but choose. I opt to keep my heart untouched,
for remembrance is too sweet to bear.

Mere holding this temptation in my hands
may wash away the heartaches with the sands.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your disappointment today; sure hope tomorrow is a better day! It has been a busy flurry of activity for me the last 4 days, with lots of COOKING for family gatherings for our out-of-town company! (Thank you very much for the time off! I do hope everything went well for your Thursday activities!)

    I appreciate your sharing this poem with us today! I have a conch from my Grandmother Hudson's home that I do treasure, though the points have worn down with much handling! Amy

    ReplyDelete