Thursday, July 1, 2010

Easy Over the Bumps

Laetrile probably did more for Phil than just avert nausea, for he went through four remissions, an almost unheard-of achievement for his type of cancer at that time, and likely now too. Each relapse brought the tragic condition back with fresh heartaches and efforts on our part to make him well. Before school opened the fall of his junior year, I petitioned the school board in the district where I taught to allow Phil to attend my school in case of relapse during school hours. We offered to pay tuition. The board replied that Phil could attend my school and without paying anything.

Twice in those years relapse did manifest itself during school hours. Others took over my classes for the rest of the day and we went straight to hospital for a new routine of chemotherapy. When we got into the car, with him lying on the back seat, he said, and only once was enough, “Mom, go easy over the bumps.” Before we first went to Mexico for treatment, Phil was allowed to eat anything he wanted. I have a picture of him, fully dressed, halfway reclining on his bed, with the first oncologist fiddling with the IV, and Phil’s supper waiting in front of him: two high-stacked hamburgers and two cartons of milk. After Mexico, he left off all meat but fish, all cow’s milk, all cheese, and gave up the favorite food of teenagers all over Americapizza. One day after school he ate six whole grapefruit. One weekend he ate most of what I think is called a flat of strawberries. He drank goat’s milk and ate bread. He laughed over the “meatloaf” I tried to make from wheat germ. But we ate it. John and I did our best to stay with Phil’s diet for ourselves and not eat in his presence such dishes as ice cream and cheese. Once a year, after the bowling season finished, Phil celebrated with his team with just one slice of pizza and a big salad. I might add, also with a big team trophy. The last traveling trophy displayed in our house was just over two feet tall.

Phil was an excellent math student and with his interest in sports and creating games, he designed and built in his shop class a chessboard table for four players, with drawers to hold the chess pieces. The judge(s) marked him down for not having a nice, shiny finish on the top of it. He was furious, for he had deliberately given it a dull finish so that a shine would not interfere with the players’ vision during a game. But a contestant was not allowed to explain anything to the judges before the competition began. Phil had a high IQ and could be impatient with the likes of those dumb judges. Isn’t October 17 under Libra, those scales, remember?

In his senior year Phil made a plain, oak wall system to hold his books, trophies, and games. Years later, I respectively gave Gooch and Mike the wall system and the chess table. I have no idea where these items are today, or in what condition they are. I would like to think they preserved them and protected them, but I am afraid to ask, for my children have moved around from city to city so often.

To be continued. It’s Thursday, the day I go out. Several appointments today.

No comments:

Post a Comment