Friday, April 24, 2015

SHAKESPEARE

Some want to bury him; I want to praise him. That line is from one of his plays, paraphrased. I heard at dinner tonight that only four universities in this country are still teaching the greatest writer the English language has ever had. I'm surprised at not falling off my chair when I heard that. I do not want to discuss this great bard just now, but I especially want to stress an important fact found in the college departments of philosophy, perhaps psychology, perhaps several others on campuses if any good at all. This is it: If you have not studied unabridged Shakespeare (more than one play) with good satisfactory grades in it, and that unabridgement has not been ruined by modern lingo, you have NO VOTE whether we bury Shakespeare or not. It's the same as with Latin: if you have never studied Latin for two or more years with satisfactory grades, don't knock it. 

Why would a college faculty or Broad of Trustees want to do away with Shakespeare? Here are two possible reasons: If a good class, it takes some heavy studying (this might hinder one's playing time and having fun), and a C grade, for example, might lower one's Grade Point Average and one might lose a scholarship). Why should so many want the easiest way out? Think about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment