Monday, December 8, 2014

TWO STORIES ABOUT LETTER WRITING

Although there was no time for writing this first letter, one day I skipped going downstairs for lunch so that I could write to a relative to whom I had not written for some time. I typed a full page plus one more paragraph on a second page. I told him about breaking my hip last April but did not dwell on that. I wrote mainly about my large family, and asked him to tell me about his life today. When the reply came, I was delighted to see the envelope and sat down in the lobby to read the letter. My address on the envelope was my return address label from my letter to him! Clever. His letter, in tiny but neat penmanship, took a small space on the second page of my letter to him! Instead of telling me about his life today, he relayed a childhood happening we two shared. He asked if I remembered it. Of course I do. I think I failed to mention to him what a good memory I have in my old age. But he did not tell me anything else, not about his life today, or his views on politics, or any thing about other relatives. Oh, he did say he enjoyed my letter.     

That was a unique exchange of letters. 

But the next one is a dilly that could win an Oscar. 

One day I received an e-mail from a relative-by-marriage, female this time, sending me an ultimatum to the affect that if I did not write by return mail, our friendship was over! What a shock! Was she kidding? She was not. I had repeatedly told her I did not have time to write her or write anyone else. (I still don't.) 

Then one day a letter came from her, full of good will and numerous exclamation points. I immediately realized the fake good will. However, I wrote her a short letter but did not accuse her of this impropriety. I haven't heard from her since. I could never have brought about such an un-Christian ultimatum in any situation. I am sorry to have lost her friendship but I can't do the impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment