Saturday, February 19, 2011

Governors for the Presidency

In recent days we television viewers have met some state governors we had never heard of before. One question they all seem to get these days is, “Are you going to run for the presidency?” I want to mention two of them here.

Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey had an excellent answer to that question. He said he didn’t think anyone should seek the highest office in the land without having solid ideas about doing the job, not just that the opportunity was there. In his case, he had the opportunity, but he did not feel he was ready with the answers to the current problems [my wording, not his]. The first time he spoke this whole paragraph on the subject, I liked his reply a great deal. But when he repeated the entire thing verbatim within a few minutes, proving it was a memorized response, probably practiced many times before a mirror, I changed my mind. Not only was he not ready to be president, I was not ready for him to be president.

Another possible candidate I met for the first time last night was Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin. I didn’t hear much of what he said, some of it way over my head anyway, but as I was in and out of the viewing room, I particularly noticed how good looking he was, and that he did not act as if he knew that. That’s what I like in a handsome man, the fact that he doesn’t seem to realize he’s handsome. I think he would have been just as handsome if his hair were white. [His black hair seemed to be “touched up” a bit, perhaps a prompting by his wife, if he has one, but I don’t mind that.]

Several former governors’ names always get tossed into the hat: Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, and even a non-governor-ever Donald Trump. All of these have their plusses. Maybe the Donald has the least chance, but whoever is elected in 2012, he or she should certainly appoint Trump as a financial advisor. He has some good ides about that. He’s also a patriotic citizen and that means so much. All of these mentioned in this blog are patriotic citizens, I believe. How refreshing!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely like the idea of having someone that has run something. Business leaders, governors, and such know how to run something.

    I am not sure what makes Senators qualified to highest job in the land.

    ReplyDelete