Sunday, November 14, 2010

George W. Bush Interviews

By this date, I’ve seen several interviews with George W. Bush (with one to go) promoting his recently published Decision Points. While they all differed in types of venue, the interviews did have something striking in common. All the interviewers asked about the president’s once considering getting rid of Vice President Dick Cheney. It seemed as if the journalists chose the most controversial personal episode they could find, perhaps without having read the entire book. I heard only one of them say he’d read the whole thing. Another point they all covered was the conversation Bush had with a woman of fifty years of age by whom he once sat when he was forty. I'm not talking about that.

It’s possible many viewers will remember the above two items at the expense of everything else in the book. But I want to tell you some more important statements worth remembering. Bush stated he had never compromised his principles in making decisions. I believe he meant that. He also said he did not believe an out-going president should criticize his successor. Although I did not hear this, I’m sure he must also believe that a sitting president should not criticize his predecessor. I don’t think the journalists would ask him about that.

Such considerations as these latter views show the real man, not the two sensational references in the first paragraph above. He also expressed great love and admiration for his parents. His book is dedicated “To the loves of my life: Laura, Barbara, and Jenna.” He didn’t seem too bothered about criticism thrown his way, but said he’d wait for history to assess his role as president. My humble prediction says history will regard him much more highly than many now anticipate.

At Barnes & Noble, I purchased the book, but also inquired about the Limited Edition that B&N had advertised on the Net and learned those copies are not out yet. They will cost $350 each. So, of course, I preordered a dozen of those to give as Christmas presents. [Here’s hoping my readers remember what a joker I am.]

Therefore, Decision Points has become one of the three books I’m reading now, replacing the finished Grisham’s.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed the interviews that I saw. I was reminded of how much I appreciated our President under the most trying of times.

    ReplyDelete