Thursday, February 25, 2010

One, Two, Three

My friend Mary told me her oldest daughter, Eve, was getting treatment for breast cancer. On a visit to her doctor’s office with her husband Al, the doctor asked, “Do you have a support group?”

Eve replied, “Yes—God, Al, and chocolate.”

After I wrote the above, I called Mary to check on Eve’s condition and learned the treatments for cancer had taken away her love for chocolate. But surely, God and Al are support enough.



In that same conversation with Mary, I learned she had lost her husband last December, but since I don’t get the local newspaper any longer, I had not heard. This was the second occasion of my calling her to learn someone in the family had died and I missed the obituary. A son was fatally injured in a construction accident years ago and now her husband Jack had fallen in the yard and broken his neck, dying a few days later in hospital.

We need to stay in close contact with family and friends, and if the fine print is not too much for you, read the obits.

No comments:

Post a Comment