Thursday, February 25, 2010

One, Two, Three

My friend Mary told me her oldest daughter, Eve, was getting treatment for breast cancer. On a visit to her doctor’s office with her husband Al, the doctor asked, “Do you have a support group?”

Eve replied, “Yes—God, Al, and chocolate.”

After I wrote the above, I called Mary to check on Eve’s condition and learned the treatments for cancer had taken away her love for chocolate. But surely, God and Al are support enough.

♥

In that same conversation with Mary, I learned she had lost her husband last December, but since I don’t get the local newspaper any longer, I had not heard. This was the second occasion of my calling her to learn someone in the family had died and I missed the obituary. A son was fatally injured in a construction accident years ago and now her husband Jack had fallen in the yard and broken his neck, dying a few days later in hospital.

We need to stay in close contact with family and friends, and if the fine print is not too much for you, read the obits.

♥

No comments:

Post a Comment